Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Keep your dear teacher happy

Keep your dear teacher happy 13 Aug 2009 00:04 #1977

I love the 'keep your dear teacher happy' rule and was skeptical until I heard you explain it. But I can't seem to get my teachers to buy into it because they feel that it's putting your students responsible for your emotional state. How can I explain it to them, the way it was explained to us at the Wellington conference? I understand their concerns for the feelings of the parents towards this rule, but I believe it to be great rule!

Thanks for your help,

Noris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Keep your dear teacher happy 13 Aug 2009 05:16 #1981

• ChrisRekstad
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 48
Noris
That's a great question...that rule does sound self serving I know. :unsure:

I like to think about it this way...it's my job to make sure that kids are doing the right thing in the classroom, for their safety. We could have 8-10 rules about all of these different things, but that gets to be too much of a management problem. Rule 5 is a catch all rule that helps kids understand that they need to be doing the right thing. The rule we really want them to follow, understand, and make their own of course is Rule 4; Make Smart Choices...Rule 5 says the same thing, just in a fun way. :silly:

There are still going to be skeptics for the reasons you mentioned just like there are with everything in our lives. The important thing is that we are trying to change relationships with students, teachers, and administrators. I would keep doing what you are doing and the people around you will see the great results and come begging for you to talk with them. ;)

Keep us posted on your adventure of WBT!

Chris
Chris Rekstad
Co-Founder, WBT

Re:Keep your dear teacher happy 13 Aug 2009 06:29 #1986

• ChrisBiffle
  • Administrator
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 222
I certainly agree with Chris. Another way to explain Rule 5 is simply to tell students and parents, "the only thing that makes me happy, is seeing my students learn ... so the rule is really about my class, not me."

Re:Keep your dear teacher happy 13 Aug 2009 07:34 #1987

Great explanations, I was wondering myself. Let me say that one thing I love about WBT is the fact that the founders are so quick and willing to respond and help even AFTER the conference! Thanks so much!

Re:Keep your dear teacher happy 14 Aug 2009 08:52 #2027

• fridaycat
  • WBT Starter
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 5
I tell the kids (and my own children) that if I'm happy then they can be happy and we can have a great time. I will be the sweet fun teacher that they love. But, if they are stinkers, then I can not be happy and I will have to be the no fun, boring teacher that they don't like so much. I tell them it's up to them what kind of teacher they want. They usually choose to make me happy.
:) Melissa Stoddart
  • Page:
Moderators: ChrisBiffle
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds