Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Super Speed 1000

Super Speed 1000 23 Mar 2009 10:30 #560

• rhopple
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 1
Today as part of my R.T.I. (Response to Intervention) class I implemented Super Speed 1000. My class absolutely ate it up!! The enthusiasm was contagious, espescially after the first round when I used the scoreboard to influence their effort (a common strategy for sixth graders). Now that I know they're motivated to use Super Speed 1000, and try to beat their personal records, I'll use it as motivation/reward for other activities. I feel like a mad scientist creating unsuspecting fluent readers! Ahh ha ha ha ha!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Super Speed 1000 23 Mar 2009 13:52 #567

• ChrisRekstad
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 48
SuperSpeed 1000 has that affect on kids no matter how old they are. You should see the teachers in the seminars...

Keep concocting those plans for making fluent readers!:laugh:
Chris Rekstad
Co-Founder, WBT

Re:Super Speed 1000 27 Mar 2009 03:38 #629

• dianedj
  • WBT Leader
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 3
Can you use the Super Speed 1000 for kids that can already read the words?

Could you add some other words, too? I teach ESL, and I was thinking it could be a good thing to practice vocabulary words that they are supposed to know. These would be words that we've already worked on through pictures and other vocabulary work.

Re:Super Speed 1000 27 Mar 2009 03:55 #631

• Vanderfin
You could absolutely add words to your superspeed list. I do it with social studies and science vocabulary for the entire year. As for playing with kids who already know the words...I'd say play it. Fun practice of core fundamental words can never hurt. The great thing is that it only takes a couple minutes out of your day (and you don't have to play everyday).

Re:Super Speed 1000 27 Mar 2009 04:02 #632

• dianedj
  • WBT Leader
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 3
How would you add the words? If you added them to the end, there might be some kids that could take forever to get to them because of the time.

Re:Super Speed 1000 27 Mar 2009 06:10 #633

• Vanderfin
dianedj wrote:
How would you add the words? If you added them to the end, there might be some kids that could take forever to get to them because of the time.

You can create your own list, which is not attached to the SS1000. For example, call it Science 100 with the top 100 science vocabulary words from the book.

I agree with you that if you just add them to the end, some kids will never get there. I like creating my own lists to add to the games. Same concept, different words. It's all about motivation and repetition.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds