Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What do you put in your notes to a sub???

What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 19 Mar 2012 13:11 #9815

• sswitek
  • WBT Phenom
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 14
Hi,

I am new to WBT and was wondering when you are out sick or take a personal day and there is a sub. present what aspects of WBT you tell him/her to do.

Thanks,
Sharon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 20 Mar 2012 17:28 #9827

• DebWeigel
  • WBT Star
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 99
Here is a copy of what I use for a sub:

Whole Brain Teaching
Quick Reference
Class Rules:
1. Follow directions quickly.
2. Raise your hand for permission to speak.
3. Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat.
4. Make smart choices.
5. Keep your dear teacher happy.
(Have the class practice the rules at the beginning of the day. Rules are posted on board. Refer to these to remind students as needed.)

To get the students attention say “Class” they will reply with “yes”. If this does not work or you need more focused attention say “Hands and Eyes” then wait for everyone to repeat, fold hands, and look at you. Use these techniques anytime you want the students’ attention.
When you want them to partner say, “Teach” and they will respond with “OK”.
When you are teaching, use gestures, and say “Mirror”. The students will mirror your gestures. Gestures help the students remember the concepts.
Scoreboard: Draw a T Chart on the board, with a smiley face on one side and a frownie face on the other. This will serve as your scoreboard throughout the day. When class is going well award a smiley (Mighty Oh Yeah!). When rules are not being followed or things are not going well give a frownie (Mighty Groan). Keep the difference within 3 points to keep the interest level high and keep the students motivated. At the end of the day, if the smileys win, play a 1 minute game. If the frownies win, there is no game-time. (You may divide the day in ½, and give a reward at lunchtime, such as going to lunch 1 minute early, or 1 minute of free whiteboard writing/drawing.) If you do this, start a new scoreboard in the afternoon. Remember to use the scoreboard often throughout the day, or they will think you forgot and the scoreboard will lose its effectiveness.
The students can help you with the procedures. Above all, have fun!!!

File Attachment:

File Name: WBTSubsheet.doc
File Size: 21 KB
Deb Weigel
Associate Director
Whole Brain Teachers of America
debweigel-joyfulone.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: dianestrick, elloha, smith9456, Ms. Elaw, galedaniels, Kaa1

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 20 Mar 2012 20:32 #9830

• 1nS
  • WBT Star
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 120
Deb,your Sub sheet is the "gold" in my Sub folder! I've had requests from Subs who subbed in my class to make a copy because of its instant effectiveness with students. Thank you!!

Nancy Stoltenberg
WBT Intern 2011-2012
Blog: www.nstoltenbergwbt.blogspot.com
Nancy Stoltenberg
Director of WBT Certification
WBT Executive Board
Blog: www.nstoltenbergwbt.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annette Warren

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 21 Mar 2012 14:12 #9834

• sswitek
  • WBT Phenom
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 14
Hi Deb,

Thanks. This is fantastic. I immediately saved it and shared with the other teachers in my school.

Sharon

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 22 Mar 2012 15:56 #9840

• Ms. Elaw
  • WBT Starter
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 3
Thanks for putting this info. into a concise sheet for subs. :laugh: :cheer: :lol: :blink: :silly:
:) ;) WBT ROCKS!!!
QUIA Certification Points = 224
;) :)

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 23 Mar 2012 18:44 #9849

• lnickels
  • WBT Leader
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 11
I put a WBT reminder at the top of my sub plans as well. I teach fifth grade and my students are the leaders for Class-Yes, Mighty Oh Yeah/Mighty Groan, Teach-Okay, Rule reminders, Line,Scoreboard, and Hands and Eyes. They wear a lanyard with their job title each day, so they are very eager to teach the sub the procedures and routines of the classroom. I have had subs ask to come back to my classroom when I am there, so they can see my class in action with WBT and learn more about WBT.

WBT rocks! Laura Caisse
WBT Intern, 2011-2012
The following user(s) said Thank You: galedaniels

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 14 Apr 2012 14:30 #9979

• Brainiacteacher
  • WBT Rookie
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 1
I had a similar question when I started using WBT. At the time I wasn't aware of the Forum but, luckily, hit on the following idea:

As part of the morning work each day I would be out, I asked the sub -- via the lesson plan - to allow the students to teach them the rules and gestures. (I have the rules posters on our class door and include them in written form in the plan.) This gives the kids a bit of constructive 'out of seat time', familiarizes the sub with the practices and serves to make sure the kids know that the sub knows the rules.

I limit other WBT practices on plans for days I'll be away....I may include "Teach/OK!" for segments of the lesson's direct instructions. In such cases I place a brief "demo" of the concept by students in the plan. Explanations of "Hands and Eyes" is placed in the "Signals" section of my cover note to the plan.

Hope that helps!

CS

Re: What do you put in your notes to a sub??? 16 Apr 2012 16:31 #9987

• KateB
  • WBT Captain
  • 10 Finger Woo received: 57
Thanks for the instruction sheet, Deb! It is especially nice when you can have student leaders demonstrate exactly how things get done to help the sub understand WBT.

Kate

katebowski.blogspot.com
Kate Bowski
Associate Director of WBT Certification
WBT Executive Board

www.katebowski.blogspot.com
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds