To polish your WBT skills, we offer four levels of instructor certification: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. The journey is self-paced and free!
Complete the following steps in order:
Complete seven online tests surveying the seven levels of Whole Brain teaching: WBT Basics, Super Improver, Character Education, Classroom Rules, Scoreboard, Beloved Rascals, and PowerUps. Though you race against the clock, the tests can be taken as many times as you wish. Bronze Certified Instructors possess a general, theoretical understanding of WBT, sufficient to substantially improve their teaching skills. When you are Bronze Certified, we encourage you to share WBT links and resources with colleagues, but will have to wait until Gold and Platinum Certification before you can lead trainings.
- Log in to https://www.schoology.com/
- if you’re a new user, sign up as a STUDENT and set your school to Whole Brain Teaching
- Click the Courses button in the top menu
- Click “Join”
- Copy and paste this code: GGF8-NWGZ-TPD9Z
Note: If you already started Bronze Certification during 2019/2020, you can continue using that course and do not need to reenroll in the new course for 2020/2021. However, you must finish by July 1, 2020 or you will need to begin the new course and start over.
Accepted Silver applicants will complete four essays expanding their understanding of WBT. Each essay will require a perfect score of 10 points, based on a rubric we will send you. To apply:
- Successfully complete Bronze Certification
- Email a well written letter of application to NancyStoltenberg@WholeBrainTeaching.com. Your application letter should summarize your experience with WBT and your teaching goals.
When you are Silver Certified, we encourage you to share WBT links and resources with colleagues, but will have to wait until Gold and Platinum Certification before you can lead trainings.
To apply for Gold Certification, you will need to:
- Successfully complete Silver Certification
- Submit a two minute video application convincing us of your passion for WBT, your lofty educational goals, and your work with Beloved Rascals. Post the video on YouTube and send the link to NancyStoltenberg@WholeBrainTeaching.com. See these sample videos.
Accepted Gold applicants will create a 5-10 minute Exemplary Video demonstrating lively skill with Class Yes, Mirror Words, Hands and Eyes, One Minute Lessons, Teach Okay, and the Scoreboard. This process will likely require many video drafts. Here are two samples:
Second Grade: Robyn Hays and Middle School Andre Deshotel. When you are Gold Certified, we encourage you, with our guidance, to lead introductory WBT trainings at your school.
To apply for Platinum Certification, you will need to:
- Successfully complete Gold Certification
- Submit an application package to NancyStoltenberg@WholeBrainTeaching.com. The package must contain:
- A short video showcasing your personality and instructional style. In the first minute show us who you are and what makes you unique. In the final 2-3 minutes, show us how you would teach an audience about one WBT strategy and how it can be used successfully in any K-12 classroom. Your audience could be your class or colleagues.
- A signed copy of the WBT Trainer agreement
- Proof of attending one in-person Whole Brain Teaching conference
Accepted Platinum applicants will be mentored by a WBT Executive Board member as they work on a 15-20 minute video presenting a Five Step Lesson.
Upon completing Platinum Certification, you may begin to present, with our approval and guidance, Saturday, two hour, WBT seminars open to teachers in your area. Tapes of these mini-conferences will be sent to your mentor who will offer suggestions for polishing your presentation skills. As your ability progresses, you may be invited to lead trainings for multiple schools and districts. Advanced Platinum trainers occasionally present conferences statewide, or internationally, and are compensated with an honorarium and travel expenses.